Crack repair on bowl

Interested in how to maintain you pipe? Here's the place.

Crack repair on bowl

Postby mitchb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:56 am

I have a pipe with a small crack in the outer of the bowl. It appears to be just deeper than the wax while not being deep into the briar. It is only a small crack but I cannot seem to buff it off. I can cover it with wax but it shows adter a smoke. I have tried steaming the bowl in order to expand the briar where the crack is and I have tried removing a bit of the wax around the pipe in order to get a better go at this crack. I have removed a good part of it but there seems to be a small 1/4" scratch which I just can't quite polish off. Any ideas? Thanks
mitchb

Reply To: Crack repair on bowl

Postby mitchb » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:03 pm

The pipe with the problem is a higher end pipe.
I was thinking a buffer or even sandpaper. I was hoping a certain way of steaming the indent would expand it out. I steamed the area and it helped but not completely. I rewaxed the pipe but in certain light you can see the indent/scratch. It is now light and my obsession to get rid of it is the pipe is flawless in any other way. I do find this pipe being bent is impossible to get a pipe cleaner through the stem and into the bowl. Any advice on that would be helpful but at leastI'm getting dry smokes so the pipe cleaner access is not so crucial. It would be nice though.
mitchb

Postby earl » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 am

If the pipe is high end and that crack is bothering you, I would recommend sending it to Dr Dave at Walker Briar Works whom performs magic on pipes and let him tell you if he can fix it for you. I highly recommend him. He has saved some of mine over the years of ills that I did not think could be done. Good luck!
earl

Postby newbie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 am

The superglue method works. I have two pipes that I bought on ebay that I had high hopes for, but I discovered after the fact that had small cracks in the bowl and shank, respectively. One is a Savinelli Hercules 803 and the other a Peterson System Standard 301. I filled the cracks with super glue, and so far, so good. The Savi is rusticated, so the cracks in the bowl are hidden well. The Peterson, which I was most upset about, has a small crack in the shank, right over the damn stamp, that reared its ugly head when the stem was inserted. I filled that with super glue, too. Once dried, the pipes seemed very solid. You just have to be extra careful with them and monitor them. I have dedicated them as aromatics pipes. They are not the prettiest pipes in the world, but they are functional and the superglue has done them well. I hate the fact that these pipes are flawed, but they are functional and good smokers, and therefore, not total losses. I stained the Savi black to match my 320EX Baronet Bruyere and restained the Peterson. They look decent, and like I said, they smoke well. I supposed it is a given with estate pipes, but you win some and you lose some. Good luck...

Postby thomas_tkach » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 am

Kink the cleaner about a half inch or so from the end before pushing it through. Insert it until it stops, back it out a little, and then twist and push again. Rinse and repeat.
thomas_tkach

Postby shalom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:19 am

I recently started smoking a new meerschaum from my collection, a standard turkish carving of a sheik head with turban. I just the other day noticed a hairline crack along the entire length of the neck where it meets the beard.
I don't remember seeing it when I bought the pipe - I usually inspect a new purchase pretty thoroughly when it arrives - and it doesn't appear to be opening any further.
So my question is threefold:
1. do i keep using it as is, keeping an eye on the crack and only think of fixing it if I see it getting deeper.
2. Do I fix it now, to prevent it from expanding
3. In either case, what is the best method for fixong a crack in meerschaum; I am doubtful about acrylics (e.g. SuperGlue), because meerschaum is so porous that the glue would pobably to be absrbed rather than remain in the surface of the crack (at least that has been my experience using acrylic glues for porous materials) and epoxy seems to be overkill.
I was thinking of taking scrapings from an old beat up pipe and mix it with the acrylic, to create a sort of cement; has anyone tried that?
Any ideas would be appreciatd.
shalom

Postby uncleshakey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:22 am

I usually just smoke it and build a cake over it and it smokes great.
uncleshakey

Postby matt_p » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:53 pm

I seem to recall coming across a recipe for a glue to fix meerschaum in my roaming.
That was mixing finely powdered and sifted chalk with egg white to make a glue and fixing the crack with that.
I've never used it before so I couldn't say how it would turn out or if it would affect the colouring but it's one option other than your standard glues.
matt_p

Postby mitchb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:36 am

I once had a briar pipe with a scratch on it. I removed the wax from the pipe, sanded the scratch lightly and rewaxed the pipe. It is truly flawless with no sign of any scratch. I'm surprised a mearsham can be glued back together. I would have thought a cracked mearsham history. Now I know better.
mitchb

Return to Maintenance Questions